Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Weasels & Measels

My Weasels & Measels
I woke up this morning to view what's left from my weasels!
I have the measels!
It's making me sneezle...
And what about my easel?
Will it be filled with diesel?
Oh yeazel...
Just me, my weasels & measels!
Copyright 2008 Jill Jenkins
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measels
From Wikipedia:Measles, also known as rubeola, is a disease caused by a virus , specifically a paramyxovirus of the genus Morbillivirus। Reports of measles go as far back to at least 600 B.C. however, the first scientific description of the disease and its distinction from smallpox is attributed to the Persian physician Ibn Razi (Rhazes) 860-932 who published a book entitled "Smallpox and Measles" (in Arabic: Kitab fi al-jadari wa-al-hasbah). In 1954, the virus causing the disease was isolated from an 11-year old boy from the US, David Edmonston, and adapted and propagated on chick embryo tissue culture.[1] To date, 21 strains of the measles virus have been identified.[2] Licensed vaccines to prevent the disease became available in 1963.
Measles is spread through respiration (contact with fluids from an infected person's nose and mouth, either directly or through aerosol transmission), and is highly contagious—90% of people without immunity sharing a house with an infected person will catch it. Airborne precautions should be taken for all suspected cases of measles.
The incubation period usually lasts for 4–12 days (during which there are no symptoms).
Infected people remain contagious from the appearance of the first symptoms until 3–5 days after the rash appears.

1 comment:

Suzanne Bowen said...

The only thing I remember about having the measles was spilling tomato soup all over myself. You, too. We were laughing so hard to tears because we called it chocolate milk. I think it was the fever getting to us. I believe we were around 6-7 years old.